
I remember when I was young and playing street hockey every goalie used to clank his stick from post to post, just like Ron Hextall. When Hextall switched from the traditional brown pads to white ones, so did all the kids in net in the street. Even before Mylec got around to making them kids were spray-painting their brown ones.
He used to fly (pun actually not intended for once) around the ice in warm-ups. Always the first one out. Always the first for a lot of things actually - to defend a teammate, to score a goal as a goalie, to take the team on his shoulders when he could.
It's not often that you think/care about a goalie outside of their basic context - stopping the puck. But everyone loved Ron Hextall. Kids wanted to be like him, and I'd be willing to bet a lot of adults admired him for his fire and willingness to get involved in situations he felt required it.
...
I'm glad he is being inducted in the Flyers Hall of Fame tonight because his play is a huge part of what Flyers fans have come to expect out of their players.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home