The Kings are in town tonight, which is kind of cool because it's not that often that we get to see them. It kind of feels like a special event or something. Whereas Flyers fans will see Scott Gomez's little Mexican face 8 times this year, this will be the only game that they'll have to watch Raitis Ivanans and Riley Cote punch each other in the head. Because this is such a rare occasion it got me wondering what players we would see tonight. Any ex-Flyers? Off-hand, I knew Handzus (man is he having a rough year - 13 pts in 51 games) plays for the Kings - but I can't think of many other Kings players in general, much less ex-Flyers. But then I was wondering - is Handzus even an ex-Flyer? I know he was in Philly for a couple of years, but does that mean he is/was a "real" Flyer? So I looked into it - what is a Flyer?I was first thinking that it could be determined by games alone, but there are a couple problems with that. Namely that Barry Ashbee, whose number is retired, played 270 games in the Orange & Black and Dan Mcgillis, who was ok I guess, played 340. Then I thought maybe I should go by points, but I feel like a "real" Flyer is often a third liner who doesn't even score that much. So that doesn't work. After trying to figure out formulas, looking through play-off rosters, and imagining a number of other attempts to quantify a Flyer I settled on the fact that no amalgamation of statistics can really identify that feeling that fans have about a player. And that's when it hit me - it's totally subjective and almost impossible to measure, but it's the way that real Flyers fans feel about a player that makes him a Flyer or not.
In Philadelphia, effort has become the substitute for excellence. Philadelphians have gone 100 seasons without a championship. 100 seasons without a parade that didn't involve Santa running up the Art Museum steps or people with instruments dressed up like Jabberwockey Clowns scaring the shit out of children along Broad Street. (By the way, can you picture the Flyers in flip-flops and shorts in June having a photo shoot with the Stanley Cup at the top of the Art Museum steps?) Scoring and success will always be rewarded by the Philly fans, but no amount of production can make up for a lack of effort, bloated sense of self-importance, or sub-par commitment to the team, and in turn the city - i.e. Ricky Waters. This Spring when Arron Rowand comes back to Philadelphia some fans will resent the fact that he left, but when he broke his face trying to make a play he ensured that, even though he only played 2 seasons, he was a Phillie for life.
So tonight, if Kyle Calder and Michael Handzus get the start we'll be able to tell. It's doubtful this will happen, but it's the only way I can think of measuring it. Calder will surely get booed for his lack of effort and production in his short stint as a Flyer last year, but Handzus will be interesting to see. A gentle round of applause mixed with a couple whistles or the alternative - resounding boos. There's no in between. Either he was or wasn't.
Listened to: Keane - The Frog Prince
Wes Waltz played 2 games as a Flyer and even scored a goal.
Richard Park played 7 games for the Flyers in 98-99.
Adam Oates only played 14 regular season games for the Flyers.
Rod Brind'Amour played 633 games as a Flyer. He's played 683 NHL games as not a Flyer.

2 Comments:
Ben Eager - not a flyer.
Rod the Bod - flyer.
Steve Downie - flyer in training.
Donald Brashear - not a flyer.
Geoff Sanderson - ha!
Andy Delmore - nope.
Keith Primeau - concussed flyer.
Dmitri Tertyshny - boating flyer.
Recchi - flightless flyer
and...
Lindros - flyer.
also:
LeClair - Flyer
Fedoruk - Flyer
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home