Monday, September 14, 2009


Because that's what it looks like you're getting. I was reading through some of Tim Panaccio's latests works and came across this little tidbit in the Loose Pucks section of his most recent article:


"Mark Bell, here on a tryout, said a two-way contract would not be acceptable to him. He said he plans on making the Flyers’ roster outright."


Well Mark Bell, I don't know if it's just Panaccio's wording but I'm not sure I like your attitude. I thought you might have a slight chance at making the team when you were the only real veteran try-out that was invited. But as soon as I heard Blair Betts was coming to town I thought "Mark Bell, your 41 AHL points from last season do not impress me but I'm sure you'll be a very good player for the Phantoms or some other AHL team." Now that you have stated that you will not accept a two-way contract I don't think you have much chance of joining the organization.


Since his DUI in 2007 Bell has been a shell of the player that had back-to-back 20 goal seasons for the Blackhawks. Unless he focused harder on hockey than I do on building birdhouses that look like real houses this summer I don't think Bell has much of a shot making any NHL club. And when you can't play in the show and you refuse to play in the A there's one league that's always waiting to welcome former NHLers with open arms and a bottle of vodka.


After the Flyers say "thanks but no thanks" Bell's agent will surely shop him around the league. But come November Bell will we wearing a Lokomotiv jersey and burying one-timers off the stick of Alexi Yashin without a doubt.

1 Comments:

Anonymous ronnybrook said...

It will be interesting to see what happens. Granted, he had a bad year with the Sharks, but then he got sent to that shipwreck in Toronto, and then down to the AHL.

It will be interesting to see how he does in the preseason games.

And I'm guessing Betts is looking for a raise as well (from $615,000). If he has a good preseason, he could price himself out of the Flyers reach.

I'm sure other teams will be scouting both players just in case.

September 14, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home