Saturday, August 8, 2009

So apparently there’s this book coming out next year (how do you go about getting money for endeavors like this?) that is going to attempt to really put Philadelphia and sports in perspective, from little leagues to Stanley Cups. No small task. The name of the book is going to be “More Than a Game” and if done correctly could be a really bad ass read that could probably take steps to close the generational gap that exists between us younger fans who just got to celebrate our first league championship this past fall and our parents who have really been through it all.

They have a website and are looking for some input form real Phialdelphians in order to paint an accurate picture of the city side view of sports. People like Bobby Clarke and Dr. J are, kind of ironically because they are at the heart of the entire culture, still only two people. And two people who had an incredibly different experiences than the millions of children, parents, bar regulars, and everyone else who really were and are the heartbeat of the city. Philadelphia’s athletes were the catalyst and point of focus for everything that happened, but more important in the story of the city and sports are the families that sat around on crisp Fall Sundays watching the Eagles.

A perfect example of what I hope this book will address is the ridicule I received last fall when I put Bobby Clarke on the 4th line of my All-Time Flyers forwards. Some older people who were around for the Cups really took me to the wood shed on this one. I thought I presented it fairly well in the post, but you can be the judge if you care to click on the link.

How I found out about this, and where I was headed before I got way off track with all this “what do sports mean in Philadelphia” business that these people are hard at work trying to figure out, is that I was searching Youtube for some Flyers stuff. I miss hockey. Sue me. After having to close a couple Mike Richards interviews about half way through the clip due to the combination of his awkward voice and answers I ended up watching this clip below. All I wanted to do was maybe give you something to watch and make fun of the extremely awkward camera/mirror set up in this interview. But then I started wondering what these guys’ final product is going to look like. Either way, this video is set up a little creepily:



I think if I had been a Flyers fan when Bobby Clarke was a round instead of an over-crowded sperm in my dad’s testicles I would have been his biggest fan. Just the way he says “it was a great feeling when you beat those spoiled brats.”

Growing up 400 miles north of Winnipeg must have been something in the 60’s…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home