Good article today in the Daily News regarding Flyers assistant coach Craig Berube's view on how the NHL can limit the amount of dangerous hits to its players. The Chief sums it up perfectly..."I didn't say a word to that guy. But I went up to their best guy and said, 'You see that guy. If he hurts someone on my team, I'm coming after you. It's not him that's going to pay the price. It will be you. So you better calm him the heck down.'"
Listen to the Chief. He knows what he's talking about. Heck, he can let his career 3000+ penalty minutes speak for him too.
Obviously Berube is referencing the Instigator rule. Nowadays, as Berube mentions, being the 3rd man in, or dropping the gloves without a willing opponent will get you a major penalty, a game misconduct, or suspension. Teams can't afford players running around and doing their best Terry Tate impression on the other teams star player.
I think, along with many others, that the NHL needs to alter thier instigator rule. I don't recall watching hockey in the 80s and seeing tons of guys going down with concussions, knee on knees or elbows to the head. (I did see Tie Domi once try to kiss a man on a penalty kill....true story). If the NHL really wants to limit these dangerous hits, certain steps need to be taken. I'm not calling for a full-out abolishment of the rule, that would be bad for business. But I can't see why certain levels of it have to be soo intense. Game misconduct for punching Sean Avery after he checks your star Bruin? Punching Ryan Hollweg after he boards your 3rd teammate of the night? Scott Hartnell just rippin' into AK-47 for his elbow on Gagne? Just fighting Steve Ott because of his douchey-ness? Do away with the game misconducts, re-work the instigator rule, and bring the enforcers role back to prominance...instead of just a casual fight in the 1st period.
NHL, take the Chief's advice, and let the players police themselves.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home