A lot of Flyers are finding themselves in a difficult situation as they get deeper and deeper into the playoffs. It's no secret that these guys enjoy playing hockey, but they still have families to support and bills to pay. That's why the Flyers met yesterday to discuss the possibility of just cashing in their chips and walking away from the table.
"It's been a great run, but under current economic conditions - specifically the sometimes fickle and currently unsteady U.S. job market - it may not be practical to keep playing hockey and putting off the search for our summer internships" said Flyers forward Jeff Carter. "There are 30 teams in the NHL and 22 of them already have a head start on us. Do we really want to put 4 more teams, and 80 more talented guys, into the pool before we even get a chance to start looking? I don't even have a wife and kids, much less Scottie Upshall who has kids all over North America, and I'm beginning to get a little nervous."
This panic among the NHLers is mostly due to the tight job market, but at least partially due to the once again unorthodox behavior of New York Rangers forward Sean Avery. Flaunting the traditional process of beginning the job search after your team's season is over, Avery has, underhandedly some say, taken an internship at Vogue Magazine. This internship is one of the more coveted positions for an NHL player looking for summer work. You start off answering phones and checking a list when Sinbad arrives at a new club opening, but the potential for growth is far greater than other internships that some players have taken in the past.
"I worked at the God damned magazine for 3 summers in a row...and nothing," said Flyers forward Sami Kapanen. "You would think after 3 summers of doing all their crap work I might get moved up to "Eighteen." But no - nothing. Three summers fetching green teas for those coke whores at "Seventeen."
Antereo Nittymaki didn't fair much better at Bravo.
"Oh man he got Vogue? That son of a bitch. Of course he would. Let me tell you. An NHL season is nothing compared to a summer at Bravo. Those Housewives can be real bitches and rent in New York is ridiculous. Last summer was ok, but the year before I was stuck with 3 NYU kids on Roosevelt Island. Yes, the same island from the song that goes "Roosevelt Island, where quitters go to die." You know there's only one subway to that place? If you think I'm getting in that gondola thing
you're crazier than Don Cherry. And when you go through all of that your reward is to see your name in tiny writing for half a second at the end of each episode. And they didn't even ask me back."
NHL players are usually left with the jobs that college kids don't gobble up during the winter, so they start the game with a depleted supply of options. And then the further you get in the playoffs the more the market dwindles. So it's for good reason that the Flyers are worried.
" I don't want to end up at my lake house all summer missing out on the action," said Flyers center Mike Richards. "Sure relaxing, drinking beer, fishing, and golfing sounds good but the grass is always greener isn't it. About a week of that and you find yourself wondering what the guys who scored those internships are up to. Who they may have seen at Fashion Week. And it eats way at you. It really does."

4 Comments:
this should be a sketch on some comedy show....i was LQTM the whole article!
As a resident of Roosevelt Island I am looking to hear what the rest of the verses are regarding my island. I obviously disagree with the sentiment evoked by the song. As a post this was an amusing story.
HA, this post rocks.
I must admit that I did pen the jingle. As resident of Manhattan "Island," and writer of other noteworthy songs (see: How's it Going to Be, Third Eye Blind), I was commissioned by the city to create a jingle that would evoke feelings around the slogan for their neighbor to the East: "Roosavelt Island, pretending to live the dream."
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home