Sunday, April 20, 2008

Much to the chagrin, I’m sure, of Professors Mansuri, Franko, Barbezat, and especially Reid, I happen to spend my days working in corporate finance. And it’s because of this that I sometimes find myself thinking in terms of rows and columns when I otherwise should not be. So when the Flyers lost yesterday part of me couldn’t help but wonder if the people whose pockets are lined by the dollars made at The Wachovia Center weren’t a tiny bit pleased to have another game in Philadelphia.

I understand that the Flyers winning yesterday would have ensured that at least 2 more playoff games would be held at The Wach this spring, but the most profitable situation for those aforementioned people would be to win tomorrow night in Philly – the best of both worlds.

As best I can tell the average ticket price for a Flyers playoff game is about $130. If you take that alone multiplied by the 20,000 fans that will be in attendance tomorrow night the Flyers are going to be pulling in $2.6 million in ticket sales alone. An extremely conservative estimate would be to say that all the direct and indirect expenses (employees and overhead basically) would be cancelled out by concessions and luxury boxes, so I’d be willing to say that a $2.6 M revenue figure is more or less all profit.

This NOI of $2.6M might not seem like a lot to a company like Comcast, who provides cable to 24 million viewers, internet to 13 million customers, phone services to 4 million, owns various cable channels including E!, Versus, and the Style Network, owns the Sixers, Flyers and the buildings they play in, and cleared $2.6 billion in 2007 - but every little bit helps. An extra $2.6 million sprinkled on top of their profits enables Comcast to hire 26 relatively high-level, skilled employees at no cost. Employees that will work day and night and weekends, if necessary, to help Comcast figure out how to make more money in 2008 and the future.

Or if you’d like to think about it differently, tomorrow night’s earnings will be roughly enough to pay Mike Richards’, Jeff Carter’s and R.J. Umberger’s salaries for the entire 07-08 season. That’s why having a successful team is so important – the answer to 99 out of 100 questions – money.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://ymocofuf.bigheadhosting.net/pycavyg.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

December 17, 2009 at 12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Nowadays, I feel good, I started take up real income.
It gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the profit with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

January 28, 2010 at 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home