Wednesday, April 16, 2008


I don't know what's been wrong with me these past couple days. I'm all emotional about going to a Flyers game, I'm fighting back tears on the subway while reading The Kite Runner, I actually put money in a homeless guy's cup instead of slapping it out of his hand and peeing in his face like I usually do....hopefully things get back to normal relatively soon.


Anyway...last night we sat in the 100's, which I guess is the slightly upper-middle class of seating....if you look at the Wachovia Center as an upside down socioeconomic funnel, which apparently I do. Upon reaching our seats, the first thing I noticed was a family sitting directly behind us. Now I don't tend to curse much outside of conversation, and even get embarrassed a little if someone around me curses loud enough for others to hear, so when I saw these two little kids sitting behind me I was even more conscious of keeping my yelled remarks slightly witty and definitely above a 7 year old's head - telling OV "that's not how Stalin shoots", remarking about how the Caps fan's girlfriend looks like Bruce Boudreau - plenty of things that don't make sense but have your section laughing for no reason.

When I made the mistake of getting a Rangers season ticket package my first year in New York I saw plenty of families leave a game early with their children's heads already full of a plethora of new curses and insults. I would never want to be on either end of that situation.

When the puck dropped you should've heard the things that came out of these parent's mouths. Now don't get me wrong, they seemed like nice people and we shared many a high-five, but I really don't know what they were thinking. During the game they managed to use each of the big seven curse words, multiple references were made to sexual activities that the Caps may or may not perform on eachother, and, according to them, the refs were all homosexuals(which is apparently a bad thing to be). It was unbelievable.

And every goal must have been like going to amusement park for these kids. I swear once I turned around for a high five and this woman had her youngest twirling around over her head like a human towel.

This behavior was by no means limited to just them. To the left, to the right, down in front people were going absolutely insane - like people with terets possessed by the devil.

I've never been that kind of fan, and to tell you the truth, I don't understand how anyone is. Sports are a great form of escapism, but some people don't seem satisfied unless they cheer so hard, and in such an abrasive manner, that they have a minor stroke. My advice to fans in general, not just the people around me at the game, would be to stick to hooting, yipping, and clapping.

Leave the "Fuck You Pussies" to the Rangers fans.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post!! There is definitely nothing like a Philly playoff game experience!!

April 17, 2008 at 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home