Wednesday, March 19, 2008


Don't worry, you're not the only one who shit your pants. After the game ended my heart was pounding and my face was on fire. I couldn't believe that Atlanta came that close. But all's well that ends well, right? They outplayed the Thrashers, there's no denying that. Nitty played a good game. They had trouble getting quality chances but managed to bury 3 of them. Bottom Line: they played a game with heart and found a way to win when they needed to...which brings me to my real point.


The Philadelphia fans, and whoever the in-game presentation director is, need to pull their heads out of their asses.

For weeks now Flyers fans in New York have been wondering if we've gotten a series of feeds on the NHL Network, as well as Versus (who we all know doesn't have the best production), that just haven't had quality audio. The fans in Washington on NBC's game of the week two Sunday's ago were absolutely going nuts, on a Sunday afternoon no less. Fans at the Rangers games we get up here are so loud....call me naive but I kind of just thought that it had something to do with MSG's extreme HD and our 40 inch Visio. But last night our suspicions were confirmed when in the second period the bipartisan Versus announcers made an off-hand remark about how silent the Wachovia center was.

I understand that Philadelphia is the 2nd worst city for people with asthma, the city with the worst teeth in the US, the 9th most murderous city, the fattest and ugliest city in the US, and, in general, the 5th worst city overall. Believe me, it'd be difficult to get out of my bed in the morning as well, much less drag myself down to Broad and Pattison. And if I did actually make it there I'd pretty much be resigned to eating soft pretzels and checking out the lower back tattoo on the girl sitting in front of me - same as you. But come on! We were called out by a national media outlet! Now everyone who eats KFC, wants to join the Army, and enjoys their Verizon Wireless service knows what sissies we've turned into! Are these the same fans that are routinely "honored" as the worst fans in any league to play against? I mean if Michael Irving, while higher than Jesus on cocaine, was intimidated by Philly fans than anyone can be! Except when the fans look like the background to an underfunded video game or the audience at the opera. And this is not entirely their fault....

To:The guy who plays the music and video at Flyers games
cc: Director of in-game media, including stoppage activities

Hi,

If I were your boss I would fire you. I would also take something important of yours and throw it in a puddle as I shouted "don't forget (insert object that I am throwing)." It's true I've only been to one game this year, but you sucked then, and as far as I can tell you suck now. Maybe you didn't read the job description correctly. Here is an excerpt - "Your main job is to get the fans and players so pumped up that they all rip their shirts off as if the Hulkster had just delivered an Atomic Leg Drop to the Grand Wizard of the Klu Klux Klan. You are not to steal everyone's fire by having hockey pucks race around the screen or holding quizzes where 98% of the people in the arena win nothing and the 2% that do "win" get an 2XL tee shirt that they keep in their drawer for 5 years not really knowing why. You can use the Kiss Cam, but only if it is for evil, because everyone thinks that is funny. For instance, if you see a brother and sister sitting together, two guys who look homophobic, or people that are obviously cheating on someone who's not at the game the Kiss Cam should be implemented with expediency."
I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and hoping that you've already been fired for making Andre Roy have a mental breakdown and that a penguin is running things up their. But deep down inside I know that is only a dream. You have not been fired and Andre Roy has not strangled you to death.

My guess is you're slightly balding and clueless. You think Cotton-Eyed-Joe gets everyone going. You used to do the Kicks games just for fun and have now found yourself in way over your head.

Here's something that should comfort you - If the Flyers lose on Friday night I'll be in the back-seat of your car.

Sincerely,
Ryan

ps - It's not my job, so I can't give you the answer, but here are some hints:
Rudy, The White Stripes, Outerpants Night, Rocky, Coheed & Cambria, Metallica, GnR (at the proper time), Ladies Night, The National, Armor for Sleep, Slapshot, Bloc Party, The Boss, DMX, Youngblood, Editors, Jay-Z, Adult Swim Night, Enrique Eglasias, The Foo Fighters, The Fratelli's, Hard - Fi, Pants Off Dance Off, The Killers, Led Zeppelin, Free Transportation Night, Our Lady Peace, The Natural, Queen, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Boondock Saints,The Smashing Pumpkins, Quarter Beer Night.

5 Comments:

Blogger admin said...

I dunno...as someone who has been to a game or two this season, I can tell you that the crowd is sometimes literally shell-shocked from the previous game. It's like we're all waiting to be up by 8 goals before we can even breathe. Not fun.

But yeah, the music and video guy could help a sister out...

March 20, 2008 at 2:15 AM  
Blogger admin said...

Also, the thought of you waiting for the music dude in the back seat of his car after Friday's loss is pretty freaking hilarious!

Are you gonna use rope? Piano wire? Skate blade?

March 20, 2008 at 2:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This isn't funny. You've been to one game and think you know it all about game presentation?! Stop on down and see how good you are at making 20,000 people get excited all at the same time. Better yet, stop on down Friday night and take a walk upstairs to the press box. We can straighten this out that way.

Sincerely,
The guy this post is directed to. Yeah - I read your shitty blog.

March 20, 2008 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I've been lied to before on the internet, i.e. that time that I went roller skating with the tranny, but if you really are the person in charge of playing the in-game media then this is perfect.

I would love the chance to see if I can get 20,000 people excited at the same time. I've done it sexually but would really enjoy giving it a go at a game.

I've been to titans(now devils), phantoms, and flyers games galore....I've been to a significant number of arenas at every level from the LNAH to the NAHL. I've seen people get excited by the simplest things.

Where you do have me is that I do not know all the rules surrounding copyright infringment and such. If cotton-eyed-joe was the last song to slip into the booth before infringement became such a big deal (Napster) then you're fighting a losing battle.

If you are allowed to play any of the things listed in my post script I suggest you check them out.

I'm sorry that you've taken such offense to this but I do believe there's room for improvement. And in a job that affects so many people directly I would hope that you could accept some constructive criticism with a dose of humor.

That being said, some things I would do:
1 - Go down to the room and see what the guys are listening to. The music in the locker room changes often but there are definitely songs that they listen to in preperation for every game. I would play these songs to get them pumped.
2 - If you have the pull I would set up contests on the Flyers web page to see what the fans want to hear. I would then incorporate those songs into my setlist.
3 - If you haven't already I would start a communication stream beween everyone in your postion through out the NHL...a place to bounce ideas off each other. See what's working.
4 - I would abuse the decibel gag. It's cheesy but people love it. Any way to get people loud works for me.
5 - I would not be afraid to think of things as far outside the box as possible....like what you would do if their were no limitations....you did a great job of that with the andre roy thing. I'm sure Snider loved it and would've paid the fine for you.
6 - I understand that a lot of the focus has to be on kid friendly events,as it's a family function, but I wouldn't forget who's paying for their tickets. Adults like free beer, no free coffee at Dunkin.

This is all coming from a guy who hides at a desk in an insurance firm and writes a self-acknowledged shitty blog. So you can take it or leave it. But I wouldn't be afraid to leave the Smashmouth in the CD case and try something crazy like initiating a wave....play that hawaiian pipeline music and put something on the screen that says "It's wave time" or something corny. The more they move, the more they cheer, the more energy is in the building.

Players feed off this.

Ryan

March 20, 2008 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

Ryan, upon my return from a work-induced blogosphere hiatus: Amen!

I have to presume the guys(s) in the booth put effort into it, and sometimes we the fans just feel an overwhelming desire for more insurance on the scoreboard this season, but I like some of the possibilities you've mentioned here. Hopefully, there's enough flexibility for him/them to check into some of them, if not for this season then for next one.

March 24, 2008 at 8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home