Last night's game was exciting in so far as being at a pro hockey game is exciting, but as for the game itself - it wasn't really. The first ten minutes with the Richards fight and then the Cote fight were great, but the only slightly memorable moment after that was when Scottie Upshall really turned on the jets and had the Flyers only significant scoring chance of the game. I got to the arena at 5:45 and took some snapshots of the fans waiting to get in, mostly the ones wearing Flyers jerseys but also some Rangers jerseys, which always makes me feel like people think I'm a pervert. As soon as the gates opened I was down right next to the Flyers tunnel, which is actually, like most old arenas, where the car comes out. Carter was the first one out of the locker room. He stretched a bit and was watching a small tv that I could barely see, but am pretty sure it was tuned into family feud - the original one with the guy who killed himself. Big Ben was the next one out, and then Cote. The stood around in the tunnel for a while joking around and then Knuble, Umberger, Coburn, and RIchards joined the fray. As soon as The One Man Party was ready he walked right out of the room, down the tunnel, and onto the ice with everyone following.
I was surprised at which players had caps on - Lupul, Upshall, and Briere were the only three without them. Ben Eager kept looking at me for some reason, and pardon the pun but looking back I have a feeling he knew he wasn't playing, because he was way too eager to dish the puck off in warm-ups rather than putting any home for himself. Jimmy Dowd is a good asset - great defensively, good on face-offs, fills the little pants quota - but I'd still go with Ben. Over Cote as well. But I'm writing this on the train at 7AM and haven't read any press yet so maybe there was another reason he didn't dress.

All-in-all it was fun. We "met" some great people and I hope to continue some of the friendships that were created:
- to the 349 people who told me cheese steaks suck. I thought it was a pretty weird way to strike up a conversation, but there are foods I don't like too, so I guess that's something we have in common. Cheese steaks, however, are not one of them - I've had some really good ones.
- to the 76 people who were concerned for my trip home I would just like to let you know that I made it. Not to Philly, like you instructed me, but down to Elizabeth and Houston.
- to the group of 10 or so guys hanging around the front of the garden after the game that informed us all that we liked Dick, I'm still not sure who he is but am sure he's a really nice guy.
- to my buddy, the political junky, in section 229, row B with the turtleneck and Brian Leetch jersey that was pretty pumped about having off today to vote: Your cheers of "everyone drink more...we're off tomorrow!" and your clever quip to the hot dog vendor that "the goalie wants a hot dog" made it difficult for me to fall asleep as I was STILL laughing when I was in bed. When you informed the entire section between the second and third period that you and your boyfriend(?) had just been hanging out with Joey Mullen at the bar it was THEN that I knew where the fault in the Flyers game plan was. I know there are many different schools of coaching, but I'm not sure having your assistant coach hanging out at the arena bar while you're giving pump-up speeches is going to get the job done.
- to the clever Russian(I'm assuming?) who told me Rocky sucks, I understand you're upset that he defeated Ivan Drago in Rocky 4, but that was just a movie, so no hard feelings.
- to the "large" guy in the "little" Jagr jersey in front of us that told us that Cote was a goon for fighting Strudwick because Strudwick never fights - this being 20 seconds after Strudwick picked up his 139th fighting major of his career - I hope we K.I.T. like you signed in my program.
Final Note: Something we might want to consider in Philly. When it's coming down to the wire in a close game, and there's a commercial break, get a 45 year-old woman to dance in her Wal-Mart clearance rack jeans to Jock Jams and eventually knock her daughter down 4 rows of seats as she turns to shake her jersey and rear for the crowd. It seemed to work for the Rangers.
Oh yeah, and the award for best, most clever, and most relevant chant in all of sports: Potvin's Not Good!
Listened to: New York, New York - Frank Sinatra

2 Comments:
I was thisclose to hopping on the train and coming up for this game...I am happy now that I didn't. It was bad enough being miserable from the couch, not surrounded by annoying Rags fans...
And really, unless you are a militant vegan (which I assume most Rangers fans are not) why would you think cheesesteaks suck?
Obviously the non-Cheesesteak people only went to Geno's or Pat's.
My choice for best steak in Philly: D'Alessandro's in Roxborough. Yum!
(Of course I had to pound the s*** out of it to eat the thing, thanks to my experiences with sports-related facial injuries, but it was cool.)
BTW Ryan, how goes the post-puppy attack recovery?
And have you purchased tix for any other home games?
We've got to meet up some time...and we should yank Kristin into it as well.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home