Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Noticed in the news today that Freddy Meyer didn't clear waivers and was picked up by Phoenix, which is good for him. I always liked his style of play - especially for a Hockey East grad he wasn't afraid to get his nose in there.

This reminded me that Gauthier was playing for the Phantoms so I went to check out how he played in the first two games, based off the box scores only, and he has one assist. It's probably too bad for him that he wasn't claimed off waivers, because besides experience (and salary), I'm not sure what he has over Parent, little Timonen, and especially Picard.

I then went down a level further to the ECHL to see what the Flyers might have brewing in the basement. I've had a friend who's played 5 or 6 years in "the E" for Trenton (when they were the Flyers affiliate), Dayton, and now Reading. I had heard that the Flyers and Penguins were sharing an affiliate at this level but never really gave it much thought until I was looking at the Wheeling Nailers roster. I have to admit, the ownership of rights at this level has always been sort of a mystery to me, even though I've followed the league for quite some time. But this situation has left me dumbfounded. Most of these players have ECHL contracts only, making about $600 a week. They can be called up to the AHL at any point but I'm not sure how those contracts work - AHL money by the game? week?


Wheeling's roster shows that 3 players were designated by the Pens, none by the Flyers. I wonder if the Phantoms and WB/S Pens can take any player they want. I became even more confused when I saw that the Flyers had assigned goalie Rejean Beauchemin to Dayton. I think I have, however, heard something about NHL clubs lending their goalies to other teams so that they get some pro experience.

In other news....


There are some good pictures of the Flyers catching pneumonia in Whistler, BC on the Flyers official website:

Flyers Lost in BC

A few "Did You Know" facts as a parting gift:
1. Jim Dowd is the oldest player in the history of the NHL, at 64 years old.
2. Jesse Boulerice was charged with assault in 1998 while playing for the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL for a stick swinging incident.
3. Some famous NHL Cousins:
>>>>>>Jeff Beukeboom and Joe Nieuwendyk
>>>>>>Wendel Clark, Joey Kocur, and Barry Melrose
>>>>>>The Niedermayers and Jason Strudwick
>>>>>>The Staals and Jeff Heerema
4. Bobby Clarke is Peter White's father-in-law.


Listened to: Phil Collins - Something Happened on the Way to Heaven

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home