Friday, March 27, 2009


It's funny to watch a Flyers game and actually be waiting for them to win. It seemed like it was just a matter of time last night, but then time ran out. What really sucks is we could've had 11 points between us and the 9th place seed, and now we only have 7. Either way down the stretch we need to win games. A couple observations from last night:


- I like Carcillo's fire. He looked like he actually wanted to fight Campbell of the draw. I really like how he starts his fights swinging and not grabbing - it's exciting. Did anyone catch him glaring across the ice after he tricked the ref into giving David Booth a high-sticking penalty? They cut to him sitting on the bench and he was shooting shit lasers directly across the ice at Booth sitting in the box. It looked like something might be wrong with him. And I liked it.


I'd like him to bury one soon. Before it becomes an issue.


- I couldn't decide what I thought of Ballard's hit on Hartnell. It didn't surprise me that Hartnell took exception to it, and I wouldn't have given it a second thought, if it weren't for Powe. Darrell Powe seems like a fairly level-headed character, and it was pretty obvious he thought that was a cheap hit. Where I landed on the issue is that it was a little low, more knee than thigh, but not a big deal. Where the Panther's announcer landed was an entirely different place...


- The color guy on the Panthers was just awful to listen to. He never stopped bitching about the penalties after the Ballard hit! Even in the third period he brought it up! If you were watching in Philly what you missed was the Panthers guy calling for a game misconduct for Powe for 3rd man in. Uh..third man in to what? A guy roughing a guy? That's called a scrum, guy. Later in the game he went on to say, not insinuate, that the Flyers commit so many penalties that it would be impossible for the refs to call/catch them all, so some have to be let go. All of you who live in Philly and get to hear Jim Jackson on a nightly basis don't know how good you have it.


- From what I saw wig night looked be a little less cool than advertised. I think it's a case of an idea sounding a lot cooler than it ever could actually turn out. The showed a couple clips of groups of 2 or 3 dudes standing around in a wig staring at warm-ups. I was picturing a wig-clad madhouse with wigs, coke, and free beer everywhere! Or something. Not 1 in every 8 people wearing a kind of stupid looking wig. I'm actually surprised to see some entrepreneur doesn't have that collector's item already on ebay.


Sidenote: Has anyone noticed how slutty Yahoo! has gotten? Try to go to the Flyers Team page at Yahoo! Sports and pray your boss doesn't swing by and offer you the last donut. They have these ads that look like you're video chatting a hooker. Not good for business fellas.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Panthers color guy - was it Hall of Fame defensemen Denis Potvin? I heard him before and he is awful. I always wonder how such a good player can be such a dreadful (homer) announcer.

March 27, 2009 at 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at ice level last night and saw that hit on Hartnell clear as day. YES! It was cheap, and yes, Powe was right to find it so. Chudos to Powe! Oh, and after the game Hartnell was on WIP and he said basically... "Yeah, in my book, going low on the legs is a cheap hit. If you want to hit, hit the shoulders."

I thought about what the Panthers announcers must have been saying or not saying. I saw about 5 hooks on our boys that should have been called that probably didn't even make the television screen. "HEY REF! YOU SUCK!"

March 27, 2009 at 9:29 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Bob - give me your tickets.

March 27, 2009 at 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, Yahoo is fuckin NSFW. I'll be checkin out how my squad Thrill Clement is doin and it looks like i'm video chatting with a bunch of whoooowahs.

March 27, 2009 at 10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anon-it seems to be that the better the player, the worse the announcer (dorny excepted). just listen to chris therien.

i really didn't see the hit as illegal. i had it more of hip-to-hip, but it might have been a little low. i do like how powe and hartnell immediately went after the guy. shows dash.

last night just sucked-first off nhl center ice apparently had the game in HD. it was not. also, im pretty sure that after watching a season on center ice and bennanati for the caps that all out of town announcing is horrible. philadelphia is truly blessed to be given such talent in all sports with respect to announcing.

other than that, let's move on from last night's debacle. we had three great wins in a row, followed by a game where the flyers were just a little off.

March 27, 2009 at 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never said "illegal". Just cheap. Getting around the laws, but nevertheless cheap.

What's wrong with Therien? He's a decent announcer, and at least he's not overly biased. He never bad mouths the opposition like those fart-smelling Penguins announcers.

Tickets for this season are all sold, Ryan. Playoffs another story.

March 27, 2009 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Miked said...

I thought the hit was legal - if that was Hartnell hitting Crosby we would have loved it, and went nuts if the ref called it.

It was a hip to hip(thigh) - clean hit.

March 27, 2009 at 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some people apparently can't make a distinction between cheap and legal. So, I guess anything that's legal in hockey, as well as life, is clean? Yeah, sure... just like I use my real name.

March 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rob-
i love therrien as an announcer. my point was the direct correlation to being a sucky announcer and a good player, and vice versa.

i agree that there is a difference between cheap and legal. which is why i was so happy that hartnell and powe went after 'em.

March 27, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home