Saturday, November 29, 2008

After yesterdays narrow loss to the 'Canes, the Flyers get right back on the horse tonight with a game in Toronto against the Maple Leafs. Why they are not the "Leaves" I don't know. It's always special to play in Toronto. Although the Leafs aren't doing so well this year, the atmosphere for a Saturday night game in T-town is always top notch. Toronto is where hockey is meant to be played, where hockey is above all else, and I'm sure we're in for a good game tonight. The leafs are a young team who weren't really supposed to compete this year, and they're living up to that billing. The biggest thing the Leafs have going for them is Brian Burke. Sadly, he's not dressing tonight. Today, Burke is being introduced as the new GM for Toronto. I can't imagine that is really something that gets the boys fired up in the locker room. I can't see Jeff Finger yelling "Come on guys, let's win this one for Brian Burke!!!"
This is a team that is in transistion. Toronto will always compete, and never say they're "re-tooling", but thats what this team looks like its doing. They miss Sundin's scoring touch, Tucker's leadership and Brian McCabe's strip-teases. While the Leafs have a decent amount of reconizable names on their roster, they are a team the Flyers should beat. Even if Carter and Biron are scratched, the Flyers should be able to maintain their solid play and generate tons of scoring chances on this team. I wouldn't be suprised if another short handed goal gets tallied tonight for the Flyers. As long as Ryan Hollweg doesn't murder anyone out there, it will be a good battle, and the Flyers have the edge. Maybe Metro will go all "Mike Tyson" over someone again tonight and TKO another combatant. Dude looked like he'd been fighting forever when he took down Eaves. I'd love to see Gratton make Ryan Hollweg's mother cry, that would complete my thanksgiving weekend in style. I bet Lupul and Upshall continue bringing their energy to the rink, and the 4th line keeps stepping up and creating chances for our top line. I secretly really hope Carter plays, because the dude is on fire and helps everyone else play looser.

So sit back and enjoy some good hockey tonight. The place will be loud(Wachovia Center fans, take notes please) and Don Cherry will be funny. Flyers enter Canada tonight looking to start a new winning streak. That streak starts at 7pm.

Sidenote: Boo to this clown at the Inqy, Jeff McLane. His article calls our own Riley Cote a defenseman. I'm sorry Jeff...Really? This idiot is probably a Sixers beat writer ( I didn't give him the honor of googling him) who gets stuck writing "Flyers Notes". I mean, I know Cote isn't really even a forward, more like a punching machine, but come on man, do your homework before you go to print.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home