Friday, November 7, 2008



Wow. What a clusterfuck of a game for the Orange&Black. A terrible effort from beginning to end. If heads aren't going to roll after this game, I don't know when they would. The Flyers were overpowered by the Senators last night, getting worked 4-1. Watching what turns out to be the 2nd worst game of the season. (I didn't see the Avalanche game, but everyone says that effort was still worse than last nights) Why in the hell would Brendan Shanahan want to play here now...


What grinds my gears the most about last nights game is the way the Flyers try to exit their own zone. I never see short, controlled passes. I also never see someone lug the mail into the offensive zone either. What I do see is a stagnant breakout play that we've been trying to get right since 2006. A home run pass from our own end to the far blue line. Trouble is, the Flyers can never ever get it to work. What happens is, suprisngly enough, the other team plays defence. So when the stretch pass dosen't work, we're left to chip the puck in deep. Now, I am all for a strategy of chipping the puck in, charging to it and fighting for it to set up a forecheck cycle. Second trouble is, the Flyers NEVER win the puck in those situations. We have guys like Mike Knuble and Scott Hartnell coasting in, and never looking like they give a fuck if they come away with it. What follows is a easy clear for the opposition, and a Flyers forecheck that never gets established. For 2 years this is how they have been playing...


As Ryan said this morning, flipping around Center Ice last night, we saw some awesome hockey in the FGSB media room. Every team we saw looked confident moving the puck, transitioning from defence to offence. The Flyers haven't looked comfortable doing so all season. The only times the Flyers has a sliver of offensive zone pressure, was when Sbisa or Metro would wheel the puck in themselves.

The entire team did not play well last night. Carter, Hartnell, Kane, Raduns, Coburn, Alberts, Eminger, Upshall, Knuble, Lupul should have just stayed on the plane. I thought Metro, Veggie Dumpling, Richards and Sbisa played well. Nitty was average. When only 4 players out of 19 play well, you're not going to win. Cote, who was shown on the Ottawa feed as dressed, did not play, but it's not like he's going to do anything positive out there. Our defence is terrible. Simply put, you can't win games with Andrew Alberts and Steve Eminger playing close to 20 minutes. They are clowns out there, and Eminger is showing us why Washington didn't want him. Somewhere right now Randy Jones is counting money, kissing strippers, and praying that his injury keeps him out all season.

If the Flyers want to be considered a legit threat in the Atlantic, Homgren needs to aquire a defenceman. Maybe even some new forwards. This shit with mediocre AHL players inserted into a lineup of lazy players makes it hard to watch this team. Its time to set it off indeed. Time to stir the pot, and get rid of some of the dead weight. This team, right now, is in complete dissarray.


I know it's easy for me to rant on here, and yes, maybe I am a "monday morning quarterback", but being a fan of the Flyers, you expect the team to play with passion, to show a no-quit attitude, and to make an effort to win. Last night, you saw none of that, and when you see a total lack of effort, a rant is in order.

I'm going to the game tomorrow in Philly, and if I have to see Boyd Kane and Nate Raduns in person, I'm asking for a refund...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't share your view of the team being in complete disarray, as in blow the team up, but things aren't looking good...I agree with the problems with the breakout...especially the Eminger/Alberts pairing..they always seem to be hemmed in and make it an adventure to clear the puck...I was excited to see they might pair Eminger with Sbisa against the Sens, as I think they complement each other much better than Alberts/Eminger...but alas, they didn't go with it...

Regardless, someone needs to just take the puck and GO..at least up into the neutral zone before making a play...they need to make sure when starting a breakout that they put the puck on the stick of someone proven to be a competent puck carrier, be that a D man like Sbisa, Timonen or Coburn, or a forward coming back like Richards, Upshall or even Metro...those players should be carrying the puck in transition on every play...at least until the rest of the team learns how to execute a standard breakout...

November 7, 2008 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Downie and Eminger are gone. Matt Carle is in. Latest trade news.
Cheers

November 7, 2008 at 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home